Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Good Week and We're Only Halfway Through

It all began with my last out-of-town work trip on Monday. I went deep into Lake Country to interview a couple who had turned a cruddy old barn into a beautiful lake home. They were super nice, and they even had homemade apple crisp for me. The evening brought about a pedicure with my Mothers of Multiples mentor group, topped off with a Caribou Coffee stop. What nice friends to have - such truly delightful women.

Last night, my pal from over at Dandeelion Soup stopped by for a visit, armed with a tote full of baby boy clothes. She even helped me (a TON. actually) with getting the girls to bed after their rice pudding fiasco. What a mess still today.

Today, I wrote for a while, then took a long bath and shaved my legs before going to my OB appointment. Two soaks in one month - I feel like royalty! The non-stress test went well, and my doctor said everything is progressing nicely. While I'm not dilated even a full centimeter, she did make me bleed a little and said my cervix is 2/3 ready. We're on our way.

AND, she had no problem scheduling a C-section on my due date (Feb. 21) as a backup in case I don't go into labor by then. She didn't pressure me about Pitocin, which sounds like the most awful thing in the world. I still haven't heard one positive induction story, so I'd rather just skip it if it comes down to it.

This afternoon, I think I found a new vehicle for the short-term. It's a 2005 Caravan, and cheap enough that the dealership would actually have to cut me a check for a few thousand bucks when they take my Camry. I scheduled my mechanic to take a look and hopefully give his blessing tomorrow afternoon. When I called him, he said, "Are you sure this is what you want to do?" I explained about not wanting a car payment while I'm out for an undetermined amount of unpaid maternity time, and he said he couldn't blame me. "A van, though?" he asked. He knows me pretty well.

Yup - cheap and easy and hopefully temporary. By spring, I plan to be pulling in some dough again and then feel justified in getting something fun - like a Mazda CX9 or a Honda Pilot or something. In the meantime, here's a little less heartburn for poor DH (who hasn't been sleeping well at all lately - too stressed about getting the house done on time, keeping his clients happy, realizing he'll be "supporting" a family of five, and trying to squeeze in a little time at home to boot).

The same thing happened when we were about to have the girls and were facing some unpaid maternity leave. He worries about money and bills and the likes, but I don't think he realizes how much I put into savings when I do work. Maybe I'll be kind and walk him through my bank accounts once he gets home tonight. I could be really nice and remind him that because of the way I pay taxes, we'll be getting back a nice chunk of change in the form of tax refunds fairly soon.

I'm excited to see what's in store for the rest of the week. Happy Hump Day, my friends!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Alright! Joining the van brigade...you poor thing. Welcome to the club.

Ryan and Robin said...

I actually have a pretty postive pitocin story to ease your mind a little. They induced me with it and my contractions progressed normally and were not to painful, until the end. To bad my baby was breech and I had to have a c-section anyway!