Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Oddities that Turn Us On

I learned something about my hubby this past week. He has a thing for women in bright white tennis shoes and a ponytail. Seriously - that's his "thing."

My mom had passed on a pair of Ryka tennis shoes to me because the fit wasn't quite right for her. Wouldn't you know - I had the Cinderella foot and they're perfect. The only thing is, I don't really wear tennies. It's a stretch for me to even throw on loafers without a cute heel. God forbid I'd ever tromp around in flip flops. Needless to say, I've had Mom's bright white Rykas in the closet for many months.

For some reason, I recently felt a little sporty - maybe because I look like I belong to a gym or something (insert maniacal laughter here - you should see how big my belly is right now!). Anyway, the truth came out as I left one evening, and DH has brought up how cute I look in tennies several times since. Prrrrrrr.

I guess I'm not too shocked; we all have our "things" that get us going. Some fellas I've dated have been all about my long, painted nails. Others about soft skin. Others about the way I smell when I bake, which is frequent.

And I, too, am turned on by something odd. Good writing. What a shock, right? Well, I never realized it until DH entered my life. Just when I was convinced that I had the most perfect life of singlehood - as in no men permanently allowed - in waltzed my smooth-writing construction-working husband. The first couple of emails he sent me absolutely shocked me. His eloquence. His vocabulary. His openness. I was head over heels long before we even hit our second official date. Until then, I'd never dated a good writer. Wow! Add to that that he smells fresh and clean and not perfumed but more like fresh sawdust, and I'm ga ga.

Even now, years later, just a single little love note scribbled on a napkin or the back of a receipt and stuck to my dash or on my pillow and I am completely smitten.

I once had a friend who was very into facial hair on her fellas. Good thing someone likes it, considering how many hairy guys are out there. I also knew of a gal who went ape for men with gigantic thigh muscles. And yet another friend of mine was all into sarcastic banter. Like, the mean stuff that I avoid at all costs. And she thrived on it! We all have our "thing," and thankfully, it's different for everyone. What's yours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, it is partly about how he keeps his vehicle. If the dash is dust-free and I feel like I need to shake off my boots before getting in, I am attracted. Call me nuts or whatever.

Add to that some good cologne and a clean cowboy hat and I am a goner.

Anonymous said...

I knew my man was *the one* the first time I saw him playing with his neices.

Anonymous said...

Since you're askaing - I love hearing a woman sing in the shower. Something about the steam, the accoustics, I don't know. It's hot.

-Brian

Katie said...

I find I've been drawn to the tough guy. Like my husband... who sports a few scars and a handful porcelain veneers from his Hockey years.