Monday, February 25, 2008

As We Adjust

Life with a son is sure special. Quite different from having a couple of preemie infants in the house. Especially when he was born weighing more than both girls combined. Especially when he's not colicky. Especially when he knows how to suck/swallow/breathe - all at the same time. Especially when he doesn't need bottles of extra calories and knows how to burp and toot. And especially when there are no health concerns, no growth concerns, and no concerns whatsoever.

We're all adjusting well in the household. My mom is here with us, offering respite and cleanup services for our busy, busy girls. The poor dear is pretty tuckered out, but what a trooper. I absolutely cannot imagine trying to recuperate and care for all the kiddos without her at this point. It's great to know that the girls are being well cared for, having a blast, and that the laundry, cooking, and cleaning are magically being taken care of while I spend time feeding/bonding with my new kid.

The girls are very excited about the baby, and both have tried scaling the bassinet to climb in. They're quick to give kisses and touches, and they look for him whenever they're out of their room. I think they have missed having mommy around, and both had a pretty tough day yesterday. Today, however, as I was a bit more rested and out of my bedroom more, the girls seemed to have a really great day. The fresh air that Gramma Pamma gives them on stroller rides might also be a factor. (That and all the good cooking - yum!)

I am feeling pretty good myself, and enjoyed wearing an entire non-maternity outfit today. Levis and a wintery sweater felt terrific! I even took Grant with me to meet up with some fellow Mothers of Multiples for dessert at an Italian restaurant tonight. The tiramisu was fantastic! And so was the company. What great ladies!

We're getting some sleep at night, and the mid-morning naps are amazing. I never had that opportunity with the girls - there was just too much to do nonstop - even when someone else was there to help. That's not to say that I feel like a million bucks yet, but I'm certainly on my way. My back muscles still feel like I've been in a car crash, but maybe I can talk DH into a backrub before we zonk out tonight.

Off to bed we go...

No comments: