Friday, June 09, 2006

Reflections in the Rain

Now that our sweet girls are both home, I'm trying to get our lives all back onto the road to normalcy. As we're finally starting to get settled in, I'm starting to think back on the chaos that came with the first month of their lives. Wow - no wonder it flew by! And no wonder I'm starting to feel lonesome for my girlfriends. When I was running all the time, I didn't have a free moment to miss my pals, but now that I'm relaxing and enjoying, I realize how much they mean to me and how much I enjoy having them in my lives. Though many are local, my out-of-town friends are also so very dear to me.

Calling all friends: I'm ready for catching up and hearing what's going on in your lives now. Fill me in by phone or come for a visit, please.

Breanna and Lillian are both doing great They're happy little darlings who really seem to like being together. Very content. It's hard to tear myself away from them - I could sit and watch them in awe for hours. In fact, that's often what I do. Where did my former over-achiever, super-productive self disappear to? I think the doctor might have removed that part of me when she did the C-section.

DW and I are learning some good tricks (not glamorous ones, though) - like how to get a good burp from Breanna right away. And how to give Lillian a huge bottle right before bed so she sleeps for more than an hour. And how to get vitamin goo out of cute little preemie outfits.

This weekend, a long-time family friend is going to be in town for her son's hockey tournament. (I almost wrote than an "old friend" was going to be here, but then decided that in case she ever sees this blog, it might be best to refer to her as a "long-time friend" instead.) Anyway, I babysat her kids all the way from junior high until I left for college, and have felt like they're family. I'm really looking forward to seeing their mother and wish that the whole family would be here, too!

Even as the daughters have grown up and finished college (I'm getting so old so quickly!), our families are still close, and DW has come to love them all, too. DW even pushed to name our kids after the daughters in the family - Alison and Brianna. After all, until birth, they were called Baby A and Baby B - a perfect fit for using those names. I told him he had to pick one because that would just be too weird, but that either was fine. When he saw how big Breanna was as she came out, he decided on Breanna because he'd be able to remember "Big Breanna." You can probably guess how it made perfect sense for DW to come up with Little Lillian. I don't want to give them a stigma as they grow up, so I'll refer to them more as "Beautiful Breanna" and "Lovely Lillian."

No comments: