Friday, June 16, 2006

Handful of Toots

When I woke up this morning and walked into my kitchen, I noticed a note I'd written at 4:00 this morning. In very messy script, it simply said "handful of toots." I chuckled out loud.

Lillian was rather fussy after her 4 a.m. feeding, so after many burping attempts, I held her to my chest and half-danced around the living room. After only a couple of minutes, she passed gas - right in my hand. Without thinking about it, I responded with, "Good girl. Good job, Lillian. Keep tooting."

That was the crucial moment when I realized that I really have become a mom. Cheering someone to fart in your hand. This must be what everyone was talking about when they learned I was expecting twins. They kept saying, "You'll have your hands full." I didn't realize that they meant full of gas. This oh-so-profound thought (at least it seemed so at 4 a.m.) was so important that I wanted to be sure to remember it in the morning.

Anyway, on to less flatulent topics. The public health nurse came over yesterday to weigh and measure the girls, and holy moly! They are getting so big! Lillian has hit that crucial 5-lb. mark. She's 5 lbs., 1 oz. and able to go sight seeing in the car now. Yay! And we haven't nicknamed Big Breanna for nothing - she's a whopping 6 lb., 13 oz. Seeing how heavy she is, I'm absolutely amazed that people squeeze such gigantic beings out of their bodies. No wonder you hear so much about the pain associated with labor.

To celebrate their growing, I think DW and I are going to my family's cabin in DL on Saturday for our first official family outing. From what I hear, it should be a relatively quiet weekend there with just my folks, so that should be perfect.

As much as I'd like to show the girls off to our entire clan, I also am remembering what our doctors said as we were preparing to take Lillian home from the NICU. They warned us to keep their exposure to lots of people at an absolute minimum for a while. Specifically, they said don't take them to the mall, to church, to parties, or anyplace where more than a couple people will be touching, holding, or breathing on them. Until their lungs get a little bigger and stronger, they warned us to be extremely cautious. Simply asking friends to wash hands before holding the girls is not enough.

I have a great photo to post, but darn it, Blogger is still not working well for picture posting. I guess others are having the same problem. Yet another instance of you get what you pay for (Blogger.com is free).

Have a great weekend, all! And don't forget your sunscreen!

No comments: