Monday, June 26, 2006

Modern Living

What would we do without a refrigerator? How did folks in the olden days survive? Unluckily for us, DW and I found out firsthand. On Friday evening, DW poured me a glass of milk and brought it to me while I was feeding one of the girls. It didn't seem as cold as it should have been and so I mentioned it. DW had just opened a can and thought the same thing.

We realized that our refrigerator's lights were on, but nobody was home. Being the handy sort of fellow that he is, DW got out some tools and started investigating. With no luck. He figured it was a bad compressor or else something major. We quickly got out the phone book and started combing the yellow pages. Can you believe that in a community of more than 150,000 people, not a single appliance repair person works weekends? Of course, we're only talking about those who advertise in the phone book, but still.

So, we checked the temp of the refrigerator to see if any of the food would still be ok, but darn it, the temp was 61 degrees. Not being one to chance anything (heck, I throw out salad dressings if the expiration date is in the following month), we pitched almost everything. Some of the freezer items that were in the middle were salvageable, so we were able to transfer them to our deep freeze. Of course, I'd recently been grocery shopping, so there was a lot of waste. Including breast milk (aka liquid gold). How very frustrating. So much for trying to get a little ahead (or even keep up) with the girls' food supply. Thank goodness for coolers for the rest of the weekend.

Maybe it was God's way of telling me that the fridge needed cleaning - what a way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Oh well, at least the refrigerator sparkles now.

This morning, we finally had a repairman out to our house, and thankfully, he was able to fix the bad part quickly and relatively inexpensively. After what I paid for my favorite appliance of all time just three years ago, it had better last longer than just this. Once the repairman left, I hit the grocery store. And it felt great! I wonder how many months it will take me to accumulate all my condiments again. I didn't earn the nickname "Condiments Queen" for nothing, you know.

No comments: