Monday, May 01, 2006

Rainy May Day

It's hard to believe it's only been two years since I realized I was head-over-heels in love with my DW. When we were newly dating, he surprised me with a middle-of-the-night May basket that made a mushy puddle out of me.

May Day of 2004 was going to be a busy day for me - I was helping host an open house at my favorite bed and breakfast in Brandon, MN (the Lake Country Motel - try it out - it's wonderful!). As the Tastefully Simple consultant, I was providing all the refreshments. So the night before, my friend, Lettuce, stopped in to help me prepare up a storm. We had a lot of work to do.

At 2 am or so, with my hands full of cheeseballs, my doorbell rang. Of course, I lept right out of my skin. By the time I got to my foyer, my heart was pounding and I was wondering if I should call the police or just open the door. Aah - why didn't I insist on a front door with a peep hole? I bravely opened the door just in time to catch a glimpse of my DW's feet leaping into his truck. His tires squealed as he raced out of my cul-de-sac. Grinning like a spray paint huffer, I nearly tripped over the May basket that sat on my welcome mat.

It was overflowing with yellow daisies, caramel-filled Hershey kisses, and a sweet little May Day note. I knew I had to marry that man after that display. I tried calling him, but he must have shut off his phone and gone home to bed, so I didn't get to thank him until after we returned from the open house the next day.

My heart is pounding just a bit, simply from remembering how amazing DW's gesture made me feel.

Now two years later, happily married and expecting babies, I am still gaga for him. Though I don't anticipate an actual May basket today, he has been particularly sweet as he's played chauffeur, taking me to a meeting this morning and then to our ultrasound.

Both babies scored 8 out of 8 on their BPPs again, so that's wonderful! They were both active and looking great! We got to see wonderful 4-D images of their faces, and boy, they are amazing, beautiful little people already! The U/S tech couldn't tell us if there was one placenta or two, but really, at this point, who cares?

After the BPP, we stopped in at the OB dept. for a blood pressure check, and unfortunately, my blood pressure is the highest it's been all pregnancy. Our doctor is in surgery today, so we're expecting a call from her sometime later this afternoon. I suspect she'll either put me on a prescription and strict bedrest or admit me. We'll just have to wait and see. Here we go with my favorite part of any day - hurry up and wait.

No comments: