Monday, April 24, 2006

What the Hell's with Bell's?

Well, it's been a long week since my last post. I didn't imagine I'd have this kind of week, but oh well.

Wednesday night was a tough night. I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy in the ER. Thankfully, it's the kind that comes from babies pulling on the nerve that affects the right side of my face. Some people get this condition from a bacterial or viral infection.

I guess that after having such an easy pregnancy, I was due for a little bad luck. The babies are doing great - still moving around a lot and still getting bigger. Their momma is just looking a little freaky.

My right eye doesn't blink, so I have to keep a lubricating ointment in it and wear a pirate patch. Sexy! And my lips don't seal when I drink, so I've been sticking to water so that I don't stain my shirts. Nice. I sound like I have cotton balls in my cheek - or like I'm a bit tipsy. My poor DW. Not only is his wife big and out of breath most of the time, now she's half deformed. And yet, he's truly been an angel. So sweet. So comforting. And so silly.

Thankfully, my odds are looking good for a total recovery. Since we caught it right away and were able to start steroids immediately, that's good. It looks like 98% of BP patients have a full recovery. The only bad part is that I probably won't have relief until the babies are born. And that shouldn't be for more than a month still. Unless they move significantly enough to release the pressure on the nerve, but I doubt that will happen. At least this didn't come on in my first trimester or sometime early. What's a month of freak show, right?

Nevertheless, I've wound up on partial bedrest and am trying to adjust to the idea of losing some of my independence. My sister came over yesterday afternoon and was sweeter than sweet. Not only did she bring ice cream, but she also checked my blood pressure and then cleaned her little heart out. We sat out in the sun for a while and enjoyed the gorgeous weather, and she kept me company with her positive attitude. I am so thankful - she didn't make me ask for help - she just did it. What a doll.

Well, the longer I keep my eye on the screen, the more tired it gets. So, I'm signing out for today.

No comments: