Friday, April 28, 2006

A Pleasant, Rainy Day

While most people don't seem to enjoy the rain that often comes in spring, I appreciate it today. It keeps the air cool and moist and I can only imagine how lovely our lawn will be once the sun comes back out.

My dear friend, Jessica, picked me up to take me in for my butt shot today. My blood pressure was good again (2 days in a row - yay!) so that was a relief.

Afterwards, Jessica, her cute 5-year old daughter, and I stopped in at McDonalds for soft drinks and a little play time. Jessica is expecting in August, so it was fun to be out and about with our big prego tummies. I took it easy, following my doctor's orders, and enjoyed getting out of the house a little. One little boy in the play area kept asking his mom why that lady with the big tummy had her eye bandaged. He was so sweet and his poor mother was so embarrassed. I kind of wanted to walk over and tell him it's ok, but at the same time, I didn't want to get up.

I'm getting more and more used to my face looking this way, and keep telling myself that it's only for another month at the most. It's been a fun adventure to figure out how to put eye makeup on my good eye without being able to see what I'm doing. Even though it's only half the makeup, it takes twice as long. I hope to master it yet.

My folks are coming to visit for the weekend and I'm really looking forward to having them here. I know from the frequency of their phone calls that they need some peace of mind by seeing me in person. I can only imagine what kind of strange nickname my dad will come up with for me. The last time I saw him, "Bulgo" popped out of his mouth. If it was anyone but my dad, I'd probably tell them to take a hike. But somehow, I know that Dad is the poster child for foot-in-mouth disease, and so it's easy to write it off as a non offense.

I received a call from my office today, and the people there are so wonderful. I'm anxious to really dive into work with them, but will have to be patient until later this summer. In the meantime, they're generously giving me some "homework" that I can do at my own pace, without having to deal with conference calls or client relations or deadlines just yet. Which is good, as I still sound a little tipsy with my mouth not working quite right.

On my personal end of business, I have nearly every outstanding freelance project wrapped up now, so that when I do have these babies, there won't be anything to worry about on that front. Although I'll miss the paychecks that a full schedule provides, I think it's worth it to be taking it easier for the meantime. For the first time ever, I passed a magazine writing project onto a friend and fellow writer, and I feel pretty good about it. That's my favorite type of writing, and feels more like fun than work, but the timing just won't work for me. I think my friend will enjoy getting her foot in the door for magazine features and I'll enjoy not having to try to write about a house I can't see in person.

Have a nice weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I've been thinking a lot about you lately and hoping that things are going well with you and the babies. Love your blog. :) I'm so happy you have all your freelance projects wrapped up and don't have to worry about work.

Take care of yourself! Have fun with your parents this weekend!

All my best, Jodie Norquist :)