Thursday, April 27, 2006

Update on Babies A & B

I just returned from my 33-week checkup today. We had an ultrasound (U/S) and biophysical profile (BPP), then meeting with our OB/GYN. My DW and sweet sister both accompanied me to the U/S, and it was great to have them both there. I know my sister really enjoyed seeing one for the first time. Both babies were quite active and got great scores for the BPP, which is where they measure movements, heart beats, and watch the babies practice breathing.

The U/S tech says it looks like 2 placentas, which contradicts everything we've seen/heard up til now. As far back as our 10-week U/S, they saw just one placenta with two separate sacks inside. Even the doc is baffled by the U/S tech's notes today. That would imply that the probability of identical twins isn't as high, but neither my doc, my DW, nor I are buying into the two placentas thing. At this point, though, we'll probably have to wait until birth to find out.

Baby A is measuring 33 weeks and Baby B is at 30 weeks, with all body parts in proportion. A month ago, they measured 3 weeks apart, too. At least they're both growing at the same rate. Strange, though, that they're a full 3 weeks apart. Baby A weighs approx. 4 lbs., 6 oz. and Baby B is still in the high 3 lbs.

So, the doc gave me a steroid shot for lung development and plans to give me a second one tomorrow - just in case we end up going early. Though the babies are both looking great, we both have intuition that says we'll go a little earlier than my 38-week scheduled C-section. In the meantime, she says I still need to take it easy and not go into the office. No official bedrest, but just taking it easy - whew! And, I get to go to my shower this weekend. Yay!

My doc's been in OB for 10 years and I'm her first ever patient who's had Bell's Palsy come on, so that's interesting for both of us. My pregnancy has been wonderful, but this last week with the Bell's has really been awful.

The good news is that my blood pressure was good - 142/84, and the babies are looking great! If my blood pressure was running high, though, my doctor said she'd consider hospitalizing me for a few days to see how things go. Talk about incentive to keep my BP low - I don't want these babies to come out quite yet. Not until Baby B hits 4 lbs. anyway.

So, tomorrow I go in for another shot in my butt. The next two Mondays and Thursdays I'll get BPPs, and then Thursday afternoons, I'll get another visit with my doc. Two weeks from now, we'll do another U/S to monitor growth. This is getting so exciting!

I'm anxious to see what the next couple of weeks bring...

No comments: