Monday, March 03, 2008

The Stress of Not Enough to Do

It sounds like any oxymoron. But I think it's legitimate. I only have one article deadline looming and can only do so much to try to get the subject to return my messages. Other than that, nothing is pressing. At all. And it's a really difficult adjustment.

The big potential work I saw in that start-up fell through. They realized they're not ready enough to move ahead with marketing, as they don't have a pricing structure figured out yet or even the majority of the business plan composed. Maybe after a few months... or maybe it won't even take off. Oh well, better to find out now than after committing.

Beyond that, I've been trying to get a picture of Grant with his eyes open and his dimples dimpled so I can use the photo on baby announcements, but that's been fun and not pressing in the least.

We brought the girls home from DH's parents' house yesterday on very slippery roads. We even fishtailed on the interstate once, causing some minor panic inside the truck. But it truly was minor. Last night we ate a fancy dinner of granola and talked deeply about money and goals and all that good stuff that usually goes unspoken in our household. I rather enjoyed it, though I think DH is still stressed out.

Today, the girls went to Grandma Becky's for a day of play with the other grandkids, and Grant and I spent an hour there visiting. It was nice to see them all again.

Other than that, it's very unearthing to not have anything major on my to-do list. It's new. And somewhat scary. And a little boring, too. Boo hoo, right? As you all scramble to and from the office and errands and kid stuff... sorry. Just know that the grass isn't always greener on the slow and boring side. Although, it is absolutely marvelous to have some serious bonding time with my mellow little boy. I do look forward to the girls spending tomorrow at home with us. I've missed them tremendously! Happy March and happy Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You just had a BABY! And that makes three children in 1.5 years.

How can you say you have nothing pressing?!!

(I would call you one of the busiest people in the world right now.)

Take care of yourself and enjoy this time. Believe me (and sorry for the cliche), it goes by so quickly.

You will be back rocking and rolling in your career in a few months. Just don't push too fast and turn yourself into a grease spot.

Don't get me wrong, I think being a working mom is worth it.

I remember being home with all 3 of mine, after RH, and thinking upon waking up... "Wow. I guess I'll go into the living room now." And then, a little while later, after Sesame Street was over or something, I would think ... "Hmmm. I guess I'll take them down the basement now."

Boooo-ring.

So again, I totally know the feeling of wanting to get back to work - to be with adults - taking on challenges and having intellectually stimulating conversation. That's so important to have in your life, and to show your children it's important to you as they get older, too.

But dang. Give yourself permission to rest for a few months!

Enjoy having life be simple(r) for now, my friend. You deserve it!

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Rest? I didn't say I'm restful - just not on any deadlines. : ) These kids are keeping me hopping to say the least. It's been fun so far, but certainly a new experience. I never had a time like this when the girls were born, so everything is new.