Monday, March 31, 2008

No Charge When Kids Are Involved

After a very busy (and very productive) past week, I'm finally taking a moment to catch up on my email and blog. Amidst being a mom to three under two, a construction assistant, a freelance writer, a baker, and a friend, we've had a little more chaos than normal.

Somehow I got roped into being the lighting girl for the Parade House that DH is working on. After being in enough lighting showrooms, both girls point out every light and say "Like-k." Even stoplights. And the girls are cutting their 2-year molars - with big-time symptoms that I haven't seen with past teeth. And due to the absolutely astronomical jump in our health insurance premium, I've also been the shopper for new insurance. I hadn't realized it before, but insurance shopping is almost as tedious and irritating as used-van shopping. But I think we found a decent plan at a much better rate. I'm waiting for the paperwork to arrive by mail so I can be sure, though.

Speaking of used vans, insert a groan here. A couple weeks ago, my sister and I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon out shopping, with kiddos all in tow. On my way home, I stopped at a gas station to fill up. I parked, turned the van off, left the key in the ignition, and hopped out into the wicked wind to fill up. As soon as I shut my door, I heard that awful sound of doors locking. Apparently the anti-lockout feature had malfunctioned. It was winter in the valley and my kids were in the non-running vehicle. And my newborn was due for a meal.

Thankfully, I had my cell phone in my coat pocket, though no gloves, hat, etc. I reached DH, who looked up a locksmith's number and called me back to say it would only be about 15-20 minutes until someone arrived. When the locksmith unlocked my door, I reached for my checkbook to pay the $60 standard fee. The kind and handsome man said, "Oh, there's no charge when kids are involved." What?

I grabbed my wallet to get him a huge tip and he said, "Seriously, keep your money. But the guys back at the shop do love brownies." So, two weeks later, I finally have a pan of brownies in the oven for the wonderful folks at the Lockshop. We'll make our delivery after the girls get up from (hopefully) really long naps.

And since the oven was already hot, I decided to make DH some pistachio cake. It's a new recipe to me, so I hope he likes it. My poor dear is still swamped and stressed beyond belief, but I know that some carbs will help push him along. Less than a month to go until the Parade!

No comments: