Sunday, October 14, 2007

My Favorite Routine

When we had our marriage blessed by the church last February, our priest gave a very short, but very personal sermon. It was really just a simple piece of advice, but a good one that's been easy to follow, and nice to follow. He told us that each night in bed, we ought to hold hands and each state one thing that we're grateful for that day. The only rules are that you can't repeat within the year and it has to be just one a night - no laundry lists.

Since then, we've followed through. And even when we've been away from each other, we've talked on the phone before bed that night to share our piece of thankfulness. We've often stated things that have nothing to do with one another, but it's what comes to mind at the time. It's ranged from healthy babies or a pleasant visit with in-laws to a productive workday or a yummy meal. Sometimes we've stated gratefulness for help with laundry or a surprise love note, or feeling better after a cold or no longer having to work in a toxic environment.

No matter how tired we are (and we're often just beat by the time we crash out) we still follow the routine - often the last words of the night.

Feel free to borrow our priest's sermon. It's the best one I've ever heard, and while occasionally I've struggled to come up with the right thing to mention at the time, it really is a great way to end the day and to prepare for tomorrow's unknowns.

Tonight, I tucked my DH into bed early since he has a very early tomorrow. He told me he's grateful for our good marriage. Talk about a great way to end the day. I kissed him goodnight, then came out to the kitchen to peel apples and bake a cinnamon apple cake. While the cake filled the room with wonderful smells, I peeled/sliced a bunch more apples to freeze, and feel like I'm now ready to call it a day. I wish you all a pleasant Monday and a fulfilling week ahead.

No comments: