Thursday, August 10, 2006

Twintalk

I've read a lot about it, but I admit, I'm a bit of a skeptic. Twin talk. A special language between identicals. A secret code that no one else can crack.

Until Wednesday night. I was in the master bathroom, brushing my teeth before heading downstairs to bed. DW had taken the girls down already and had laid down. While I was brushing, I could hear a bunch of commotion downstairs. The girls sounded really fussy.

When I walked into the babies' room, I thought "Oh, great. Another long night ahead." I knew that Lillian was tired and had been fighting to stay awake for over an hour by that time. DW appeared to be asleep already, even though both girls were noisy as can be. Thinking I was once again the one who'd be dealing with sleeplessness, I mumbled, "Way to tune out your own kids, Dad."

He corrected me and said, "Shh. Just listen. They're not fussing." Sweet guy that he is, he didn't chew me out for my crabby comment.

Sure enough, they were going back and forth - making all kinds of noises and giggles and gurgles and such - and smiling like crazy. All the while, they were laying on their backs in their crib - feet meeting in the middle - not even able to see each other. I'm certain that this is what so many people have referred to as "twintalk."

As cool as it was to listen, my sense of reality kicked in. It was midnight and I had to be up in 6 hours, with probably an hour interruption of sleep somewhere in between. I walked over to Lillian and placed a hand on her chest and gently closed her eyes with my other hand. She instantly silenced and fell fast asleep. And Breanna stopped her noise right away.

I guiltily climbed into bed, wondering what they were talking about. Hopefully how happy they are.

No comments: