Monday, August 14, 2006

Single Parenthood Stinks

I have a whole new perspective on single parenting - and a lot of pity for those who don't have the support of a spouse during the childrearing years.

DW is up at Lake of the Woods for a remodeling project, so I've been flying solo with the girls. If I complained about not getting much done around the house before, I was insane. This is the true definition of not getting ANYTHING done. My bags are still packed from the weekend and in the hallway. The refrigerator has a suspicious smell, but I haven't had time to go exploring yet. The new roll of toilet paper that's half gone already still hasn't made it onto the holder. And our lawn probably qualifies for some sort of natural wild grasslands designation. I'm wondering if I dare even send the dogs out in the lawn, for fear they'll be swallowed up and never find their way back to the deck.

There is a light at the end of this long tunnel, though. DW will be coming home - I'd guess either tonight or tomorrow. I see from the caller ID that he called close to 1a.m. today, but I was sleeping in the baby room and missed chatting with him. Not only do I look forward to having some help with baby care, but I also anticipate spending some time with my hubby. While we were technically together over the weekend, there were always a bajillion people around and we were constantly on the go, so we didn't have much private time - the time we enjoy the most - where we just get to "be."

I'm feeling remarkably alert considering the combined 8.5 hours of sleep I've had during the last two nights. Breanna and Lillian are getting more and more on the same schedule, so of course, they both wake up at the exact same moment - hungry and loud. Poor little honeys. Mom only has two hands - so she can't carry two babies, plus get milk from the fridge and get it warming in the bottle warmer, while changing diapers and propping girls up so they can both eat once the milk is warm. Whew! It even sounds hectic on paper. Like I said, I'm looking forward to DW's return. Until then, I'm going to enjoy a good day at work, hopefully a nap in the car at lunch time, and a short evening with quiet babies. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments: