Monday, August 21, 2006

Catch me if you can

Still alive and kickin’ – just a little swamped. Well, more like a lot swamped. Let’s see, where did we leave off with this saga called life?

Last Tuesday, our daycare mom called me mid-afternoon and asked if I could come pick up the girls. It was just too much for her – both babies were particularly gassy that day. I had many days like that myself when I was alone with them. And I only had them - not other kids, to boot. Only, I never had a backup to call. In that case, I'm jealous. Anyway, I left the office early with a bad feeling. Sure enough, the daycare lady gave us her 2-week notice. She says she accepted a job as a para with a local school, something she’d applied for before she met us, but hadn't given a second thought to since it had been so long. And of course, it starts two weeks from the day she notified me. Great.

I’ve been scrambling to find another small daycare that will take two infants. We’re still stuck with not being able to take them someplace with lots of other kids for the first year – so there’s a chance we’ll have to have someone come into our house. That would be great for getting out of the house in the morning, but kind of invasive (and so expensive), too.

At the same time, we’ve gone out of town the last two weekends – first to Lake of the Woods, and then last weekend to my family’s cabin in Detroit Lakes. The babies traveled well, so that’s a relief. But it’s just not the same as being at home. On a milestone note, both babies went all through the night without eating on Saturday. Of course, when I had help on hand. Go figure. I’m not complaining. Lillian woke up once, but my mom soothed her back to sleep without having to use a bottle. Yay! There’s hope!

We’ve also been planning Breanna and Lillian’s baptisms. We’re having a private service this Sunday with just our immediate families there. I would have loved to invite some close family and friends, but if we opened it up to some, we’d have to invite DW’s million relatives, and soon we’d have a service/party for 75 people. No thanks. I don’t think his folks are too happy with that decision, but it’s just too much to think about hosting that many people right now. Just having DW’s sister and her family over will be exhausting enough – the kids are adorable but so very out of control. I just pray for no broken bones/furniture/dogs while they’re over after the service. We’ve asked my sis and her hubby to be Lillian’s godparents and DW’s brother and his girlfriend to be Breanna’s. We’re all looking forward to the service.

On a very happy note, it’s my 30th birthday tomorrow. And my parents gave me the nicest gift in the world. They hired a housekeeper to come into my home occasionally to scrub/vacuum floors and dust for the next few months. I almost cried when they told me. By the time she’s done, I figure the babies should be a little bit easier to handle and hopefully in bed earlier so I can have the time to keep up again.

So… I’m nearly out of breath just thinking about how hectic life is right now. Friends, sorry for not keeping in touch. Please bear with me – or else come visit me and rock a baby. Enjoy the week ahead, all!

No comments: