Sunday, April 13, 2008

Crash Course in Time Expectations

I finally know why my husband's schedule is so unpredictable. His ideas about time are very different from mine. When he asks me to help him out at our house for a half day, that doesn't mean 4 - 5- maybe even 6 hours of work. Half day in his eyes is half of a 24-hour day. We spent an exhausting Saturday at the jobsite together, Grant in tow. What a trooper he was! And what a nice time for DH and me to work side by side again. I've missed him so much lately, and we had great conversations throughout the day. Some silly. Some deep. Some nostalgic. All good.

I swept and vacuumed for hours, cleaned spindles, scrubbed cupboards, and carried load after load of garbage (mostly cardboard, sawdust, scrap wood, and empty pop bottles) out to the garage, and then out to the dumpster.

Filthy and beat, we finally returned home as the sun was going down. We quickly changed clothes, blew the black out of our noses (how gross!), packed an overnight bag, and headed to DH's hometown for the bachelor/ette parties. I didn't even need to come up with an excuse - I was so beat that I wouldn't have been able to do any kind of quality brain work or anything social anyway. Plus, my hair looked like crud because of all the dust and dirt in it. I haven't been that piggish in ages.

My mother-in-law was the only grown-up in the house by the time we finally arrived, and she was glad we were later because that meant she got out of the party, too. She'd stated from the beginning that she'd go to the house party at the beginning, but when the group headed out to the bars, that's when she'd head home. We timed it just right, I guess. She and I sat up and oohed and aahed at Grant's cuteness, and visited about all kinds of light topics. It was a pleasant day all in all.

Today, we visited with family here from Idaho and the Twin Cities. Our girls went to the park twice and enjoyed going down the slides and on the swings. They also enjoyed a wagon ride as Grandpa pulled them in laps around the living room and kitchen area. Those girls are so darned cute!

We arrived back home again at sunset. After getting everyone ready for bed, I spent the remainder of my Sunday evening at the computer, doing the work that I'd actually planned for Saturday night. Finished for the day now, I'm going to brush my teeth and hit the sack. And it's before midnight! Hooray for an early night! (How sick is it that anything before 1 a.m. qualifies for early these days?)

Have a terrific spring week ahead, my friends.

1 comment:

sschneid said...

I am with you on the whole bedtime thing. I don't even remeber the days of going to bed "early" now even if everyone is asleep I can't go to bed before 11:30.