Thursday, January 11, 2007

What's your earliest memory?

Last night, my DH was rather amorous toward me as I bathed our babies. Up to my elbows in fluffy bubbles at the kitchen sink, babbling Breanna in hand, DH kept getting frisky with me. I tossed some bubbles toward him, shooing him away. “You don’t want your daughters’ first memories to be of daddy acting like a 13-year-old boy, do you?”

It’s one thing to steal some kisses and a butt pinch here and there. That’s great for a family to be comfortable seeing sweet affection. But no one wants an image of their parents going past that line.

And so the great debate began – how far back can people remember? I’m not talking remembering routines or recognizing faces – but true memories that you can look back at as you get older.

I think that I can remember back to my mom being pregnant with my sister, so I was just over two. As we relaxed on our brown and orange velvety floral couch, Mom and I had a tea party for three on her belly. Complete with tiny cups, saucers, and a cookie plate, we had tea with the baby. It’s kind of foggy, but I do remember this much.

That’s probably the last time I was willing to share anything with that new baby for a while.

Dear readers, what are your earliest memories? Please share!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sitting on my grandma's lap, her feeding me blueberries. The tablecloth had little blue flowers on it and they were the same color as the blueberries.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I were both strapped in the back seat as kids. Every time we went under a bridge, we'd poke our thumbs up and say Thumbs Up. We thought we were keeping the bridges from falling.

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

We used to do "thumbs up" too!

And Lissy-Lou, it was Mom's slipper that was placed on top of the heater. : )

Anonymous said...

I remember running away from the bathroom at bath time. My dad would chase me down the hallway, then grab me, tickle me, and carry me back into the bathroom. It was kinda like a game and we laughed alot.

Anonymous said...

Throwing up in chrurch, down my dads back, since he was holding me. He took me and ran out fast. Ick.

suziq32 said...

My earliest memory is being at my grandparents cabin on Battle Lake. It was before my brother was born and I remember peeking around the corner of a red building that they had on their property. My grandparents sold that cabin not long after, so that was the last time I was ever there.

Kelly Glennon said...

I remember making a joke when I was barely 3 years old. My family was driving to Florida (from MN). We were barely out of town, and I asked "are we there yet?".

Amanda said...

Sitting on the picnic table on our back patio helping my date paint, watching his "comb over" blow in the OK winds. I was 4.