Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Mary

When one takes the risk to put oneself out onto the vast internet, something interesting is bound to result eventually.

This morning when I was picking up a coffee and paying for gas, I heard someone say, "Hi, Mary." Since my name isn't Mary, I didn't look up. I heard it again, closer. "Hello, Mary." A friendly-looking bobbed 30-something walked right up to me and asked how the babies are feeling.

I felt a moment of panic, wondering who this woman is and why I don't remember meeting her. She smiled and told me about how she has a little one who also got sick after the holiday hubbub and that luckily his bout was much quicker than the twins'. As my mind spun, I tried really hard to place her, without insulting her by not having any idea who she was. Had we worked together at some point? Same church? A friend of my sister, perhaps? A neighbor? One of DH's old pals? I was blank. And starting to get a little freaked out.

Then the kind woman dropped the hint. "I wish you would update once a day. I check your blog every morning, just hoping to find something new. The way you write, I feel like I've known you for years."

Aha.

I asked her name. Julie. And how she came across my blog. She explained that her sister is friends with a sister of one of my friends. When word got out that I was having premie babies, my friend asked her sister and her sister's friend to include us in their prayers. I melted. All my defenses instantly dropped, and goosebumps covered me.

We visited a little more, but I really had to get going so I wouldn't be late for work. I promised I'd update more frequently. So Julie, when you read this in the morning, thank you for making my day. Have a wonderful rest of your week, and I'll be in touch more often. I promise.

Throughout the morning, I kept coming back to "Mary." Why did she call me Mary? The lightbulb finally went off - Sweet Mary Sunshine. Gosh, I feel like an idiot.

P.S. The babies are back to normal. Each lost about a pound during their bug, but oh well. I guess it just means we'll get a little more wear out of the cute outfits they've been wearing all season. If anyone has any hints on how to get them back to sleeping for longer bouts, please share. The dark circles under my eyes are getting harder to cover. Makeup can only do so much.

No comments: