Friday, January 19, 2007

Ten Things

I did a lot of research before becoming a parent. Quite a bit of it came hands-on during my many years of a full babysitting schedule. During my pregnancy, I read and read and read. Of course, I also had lots of questions for my mom and my sister, who both have great medical backgrounds.

But there were some things I had to learn the hard way. Here's my top 10 list of what I wish I would've known ahead of time.

1. Baby clothes are sized as ridiculously as women's clothes. The numbers don't mean a thing. 6-9 month shirts are sometimes smaller than 0-3 month shirts. And trying to factor in the shrinkage factor is useless. You never know what will shrink down to teeny tiny sizes, while others don't shrink a bit.

2. Diaper brands are not important for everybody. Before the girls arrived, all I heard was that Pampers diapers are so much better and that anything less is just plain unacceptable - stinks and leaks galore. Brave soul that I am, I've recently tried some cheaper brands and they've all been fine. Why didn't I start experimenting during the first 6 months? Think of all the money I could've saved.

3. Just because most people think they know more about parenting than you do, no one knows your kids better you. I now know that it's best to follow your gut and politely thank the "helpers" for their suggestions. Because, of course, the majority of them feel compelled to tell you what to do. All the time. Because they know better than a new mom.

4. Online grocery shopping. Sure, I knew it existed. But why didn't anyone point out how valuable it is to pay $5 for someone else to do your shopping and bring it into your home? This means no dragging babies out (or scream-fits in the store), no pushing a stroller with one hand, pulling a cart with another, and grabbing food with yet another hand. Wait... how many hands do I have? Not only that, my grocery bill is tiny now that I'm shopping for specific items and not tempted by the sale on shrimp or fresh muffins. Plus, look at how much it would cost if I was giving up work time to shop - $5 is a steal!

5. Baby socks are always too tight around the ankles. Even on skinny minis. Even when they socks are size 12 months and your baby is only a month old.

6. While we're talking footgear, what's with the poor quality of tights? They are truly a wear-once-and-throw-away item. Even the name-brand ones. Darn.

7. Teething symptoms can last three or more months without producing teeth. I've been saying, "We're on the verge," since August.

8. Most people don't have the common sense to wash their hands before touching babies. And not just little kids. Seriously, I can't believe how many people come in from outdoors and go straight for the baby face - without washing up. I know some people have rolled their eyes at me on this one, but come on. I wouldn't want you touching my face with dirty hands, and I'm full-sized and healthy. Why on Earth wouldn't you scrub up before touching babies?

9. Pureed orange vegetables stain every piece of fabric they come into contact with. No amount of scrubbing or detergents (even bleach!) takes out orange veggies. Carrots, squash, sweet potatoes. None come out. And of course, I still haven't come across a black bib. Go figure. I've come to love my aprons at feeding time.

10. As a mom, I feel guilt over everything. That I don't spend enough time cuddling. Or reading. Or singing. Or pushing tummy time. Or playing. Or... I always wish I was doing more. Yet my DH marvels at how much time I spend with the girls and still have energy to keep up the house and even cook a few meals. This type of guilt, though, is a new, and so very unexpected feeling.

So there you have it. Future moms, take note. This is the stuff that no one writes about. Except me, I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying it! As a mom of two, I know you are absolutly correct. Here are my additions..
1. I have never know a mother who has had to go to College to "rock their baby to sleep". Go ahead every now and then and enjoy the rocking cuddles.

2. Let your baby play in the tub just ten minutes longer than you think. Maybe it will make up for the following years when you can't get them in to the bath.

I miss you so much. Kisses to all!

Jessica

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Oh, Jess. I miss you so very much! You have no idea how much of a void you left when you moved. We all think of you often, and truly miss our dear friends.

My hubby has commented several times about how much fun your daughter would have getting our babies to laugh.

Let's make time for a good phone visit soon. I'd love to hear your sweet voice again.