Monday, January 22, 2007

Smallest Luxuries

Since our girls have been home from the hospital, around 7 months now, we’ve been pretty confined. We’re still avoiding unnecessary exposure to germs by skipping out on the mall, grocery store, restaurants, etc. If it weren’t for my little grown-up luxuries that I can indulge in when I’m at home, I think I’d lose it.

I am so thankful for what I do have during the few moments when the girls can either occupy themselves or fall asleep. I love having the opportunity to bake. I’m not sure why it’s so therapeutic, but oh, is it wonderful to prepare sweets. Whether it’s cake or cookies or pie or bars, baking magically makes everything better.

And oh the fun I find in the new arrival of Inc. magazine. Some may consider it nerdy, but I just love this publication! That, combined with Lake Country Journal, Lake and Home, and Minnesota Monthly, make for great reading in bite-sized chunks. They’re often found in the bathroom, sitting on the counter and covered in splashes and drips. Because I never get to kick back and read for more than a couple minutes at a time these days, I typically have to multi-task. It may look funny as I wash one half of my face first so that I can keep reading, or seeing how much toothpaste I can drip on a page, but oh well.

And what more pleasure could there be than reading the Looky Daddy! blog. This guy is seriously in my top five of all-time favorite writers.

Contrary to public belief, not everything I do to enjoy myself involves reading. About once a week, I manage to get in a good shower. Not just a functional one for getting clean. But one that drains the water heater. One where I have the time to shave my legs – all the way up. And then moisturize with oil before I even leave the tub. I really hope to work up to two of these good showers a week.

One of my other treats – and probably the fewest and farthest between – are phone calls from old friends. The connections are rare these days, but they rejuvinate like not much else can.

Of course, then there’s my favorite - one-on-one time with my DH. Every here and there, we pull out a bottle of wine or make a drink and have a real visit. Not about babies. Or poop. Or bottles. Or cleaning our messy house. Nope. A true grown-up visit – this weekend we pored over our country’s political climate and the scary times we’re living in. Luckily, we’re pretty much in line with each other, but we both tend to explore every possible perspective and love to play devil’s advocate just to open up the discussion.

Sure, I’m getting a little stir crazy, waiting for the weather to warm up enough to take the girls out for stroller rides. But in the meantime, I think I do have it mighty good.

No comments: