Monday, October 02, 2006

My favorite time of year

Let it begin! DW and I went to his aunt and uncle's house in northern MN yesterday and the leaves were already changing like crazy! Fiery reds, blazing oranges, vibrant yellows. I can hardly wait to get out of the house and drive into MN in the next week or two to check out autumn.

Now all we need is a bonfire and some s'mores some evening and I'll be thrilled. For some reason, the smells of fall make me feel like home. I get sappy. I reminisce about childhood. My past constantly drifts into my present - both when I'm awake and asleep. I'm not sure if we spent more time outside in the fall when we were young, or if I just like the season that much more. Either way, this cool weather is refreshing my spirit.

I had a really nice weekend, and despite having the worst cold I've had in years, I really enjoyed myself. My auntie and sister came over for brunch on Saturday and then stayed for a few hours of visiting. I think we all enjoyed ourselves. The babies got lots of attention from their aunt and great aunt, and I got a chance to cook a little bit. My aunt was in town for her class reunion.

It's rare that anyone seems to want to come to Moorhead/Fargo. Outsiders always ask, what's in Fargo? I want to shout "We are!" Who cares if there aren't a lot of trees or a lot to do in some people's minds. Don't come up for the scenery - come up to see us.

While DW was up north working on his cousin's house this past week, that cousin's fiancee came to my house. She and I wouldn't appear to have much in common if you looked at us on paper, but somehow, we really seemed to connect. It was lovely to have her at our house and wonderful to get to know her better. We both commented that we wished we'd spent some time together sooner. Deep down, we have a lot in common within us. It's fun to finally have someone in DW's family to feel close to. (Even though she's not technically family yet.) And it's always fun to have a new friend.

Their wedding is set for Dec. 2 at Lake of the Woods. DW is going to be a groomsman and I'm going to be a program passer outer. We've been hemming and hawing over what to do with the babies for the wedding. Should we bring them with, along with a pair of nannies, who can take them back to the hotel once they fall asleep? Should we bring them down to my folks' house for the weekend? (This would mean an awful lot of driving.) Should we call on my dear sister (and pray that she doesn't get burned out with helping) and see if she would be willing to give up sleep and take them? Should we have someone come to our house and stay with them there for the weekend? Should we bring them with and I'd just go back to the hotel? (This is my last choice - as I'd miss out on most of the fun.)

Yesterday DW came up with the wonderful idea of dropping the babies off at his Uncle Duck's house on Saturday, on my way "up north." Duck and his wife hosted us yesterday and we had a lovely time. They don't have kids of their own, and they handled the babies really well. DW asked if they'd be interested in babysitting and they excitedly said yes. So, easy enough! I strongly encouraged them to call in reinforcements, though, as it's often a lot of work even for two grownups. I'm so very excited to get to dance again!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I bet it's beautiful in MN. We're in TX and it's just still so HOT. I'd love some wonderful fall weather right about now.
Sounds like you have a great family!

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

It is really lovely. Today we're supposed to have a high of 74, with lots of sunshine. Next week, though, the story changes. I'll then be jealous of you.

BTW, your twins are GORGEOUS!