Thursday, September 14, 2006

For the Love of Socials

Last night, several friends/former colleagues stopped in for a visit. Most of them had not yet seen the babies, and I figured that with DW still out of town, this would be a good week to invite a bunch of lady friends over. As the living room filled with bright, witty writers, I was reminded of how much I've missed socializing.

I've spent numerous hours on my favorite website, www.twinstuff.com, over the past year. It's a bunch of forums for parents with twins or triplets to interact. Anyone can post a topic and then people respond with their real-life experiences, advice and support. It's been an amazing source of information for me.

One of the topics that came up recently was the loss of friends. Not as in death, but as in abandonment once the babies arrive. Sadly, I was able to relate easily. While a few friendships have grown stronger recently, many have quickly faded. I figured that it might happen with those friends who aren't parents, but that doesn't seem to be a factor at all. Some of my longest friends, some with kids of their own, have pretty much dropped out of sight, not returning calls, not checking in.

Maybe it sounds like I'm pitying myself, but really, I don't think that's quite it. It's more of a realization of change, an acceptance of how life never idles in the same spot for long. I'm sure it's not intentional on my friends' part, but it saddens me to know that the comfort in some friendships will never return.

DW and I talked about this topic on the phone last night at midnight, when I was rocking Breanna to sleep. (Yes, she stayed up until midnight!) He's noticed a similar trend with some of his dearest friends. We've agreed that it can't be anything personal, but that it's sad nonetheless. We're looking forward to getting to know the new people who are entering our lives. Maybe the new friendships will be easier as people know us as parents from the start.

I asked DW if I seem different - if something I've said or done has pushed friends away. He swears I haven't become a grouch or one of those who only talks about babies (though you'd never tell that based on the content of my blog). He's convinced that it's a combination of people not wanting to "bug" us when they know we're busy with new babies, and people not being able to relate and thus just avoiding us. Whatever it is, life is changing, and I'm becoming much more thankful for the few-and-far-between social opportunities.

To those who are still actively in my life, I thank you for your friendship. To those who've faded into noncommittal blog readers, thanks for the memories. I invite you to remain in my life and know that you're treasured.

2 comments:

The Baumanns said...

Rebecca-

I've never left a comment, so I hope this makes it to you! But I really felt I needed to comment on your "past friends" post.

I guess for me the same thing happened. And I don't think it is intentional on anyone's part. I remember once I got pregnant and had Sean, there were friends who didn't call, didn't invite us out anymore, thought maybe we were too "strapped" for cash. Whatever it may have been, we just kinda faded out of their vision. But really, it was us (more ME) that got all in a flux about it. Wondering what I had done, etc. Typical type-A woman stuff.

But then I realized something too. I had done the same thing to other people. It's kinda like before you had kids, when you sat in a group with a bunch of your friends who were mothers. You just couldn't relate. I wanted to talk about coloring my hair, or going shopping, and all they talked about was "my kid this, and my kid that." It was hard. And so eventually I started hanging out with people without kids. I didn't do it intentionally, it just happened.

Another thing, which I am sure you are learning as you go, is that when kids enter the picture, your life CHANGES. I mean, your whole purpose for being does a huge shift! I wouldn't change it for the world, but your priorities are different. Your children come first, as they should. So that sometimes means (for me anyway) that I can't call the people I really want to, or go out as much, or just keep in touch. My life has become sooooo hectic. But it is so filled with miraculous love at the same time, that I don't mind. And the people that I know are my true friends, understand that as well. The people you can pick up where you left off with... those are the people that enrich your life and keep you on the right side of the tracks. My family, my dear friends, some of my co-workers, etc.

I don't mean to ramble. It just struck me to hear you talk about this. I have thought the same things. But I realized one day that my life is full of joy, and the people that truy want to share that with me, do. It may not be as much as I want, but I need to be understanding in return, just like they are for me. It makes us closer, even though we may not keep in touch as often as we like.

So please know that I AM your friend, and always will be. I am so very happy that your family is healthy and getting better by the minute. Children are such a wonderful gift. And by the way, I can't wait for this one to hurry up and get here already! Ugh!

So, please give your girls hugs and kisses for us. You are in my thoughts. And I love this blog! I read it as much as I can to keep up with you all. (I'm starting one too, as soon as baby arrives. the-baumann-family.blogspot.com)

Hope to chat soon, but if not, that's ok too. :)

Andrea

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Isn't it funny how you can be the happiest you've ever been and yet be craving visits more than ever? More than chocolate?

Thanks for your post, Andrea, and for sharing your insights. I look forward to checking out your blog once your new baby arrives.

I'm keeping you all in my prayers.