Monday, June 25, 2007

And They go Two by Two

My grandma died at the hospital at 6:20 this morning, and my grandpa followed just a couple hours later at the nursing home. When my mom called with the news soon after each death, I could hear the ache in her voice, and in my dad's in the background.

We're holding a double wake on Wednesday evening in Brainerd and the funeral on Thursday. I have no other details yet, but if any dear friends have questions, please feel free to drop me a line. And of course you can always call.

As sad as it is, it's also kind of romantic. Side by side, grandma and grandpa are moving into their next realm together. How very peaceful.

Please keep my parents and my dad's siblings in your prayers as they grieve doubly.

6 comments:

Brian said...

I am very sorry for your loss. But I do agree that there is something romantic about them passing together like that.

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Somehow, this funeral was much less sad than most others I've attended. I'm sure it's because there wasn't a spouse left behind to grieve. The atmosphere was quite peaceful (at least as peaceful as a funeral with 4x more kids than adults can be). In ways, it was even pleasant - seeing distant relatives for the first time since our twins arrived. We all enjoyed catching up and reminiscing a bit. Needless to say, it's still hard on my dad to suddenly have no parents, and a lot of work to do to get their affairs in order.

Anonymous said...

I saw the double obit in the newspaper but didn't know it was your family. I've already been praying for you before I read your blog! Take care dear one...

Kelly Glennon said...

Sorry to hear about your grandparents Bec. I thought there was an element of romance in them both passing like that too... it reminded me of "The Notebook" a little bit. (If I recall you don't really like that book, but I love that story.)

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca - so sorry to hear about your grandparents. How wonderful they get to be together. We lost my grandpa in 2004 and, after 67 years of marriage, my grandma wants nothing more than to be with him. She's 92 now and still misses him desperately. Peace is a good word when you get to that point, I think. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Thanks for your thoughts, friends. It's been a long week, but a good time for some reflection. I hope that when it's my time, it's also my husband's time. Many many years from now. But not so many that it burdens others. I really hope to go out with grace and dignity...