Thursday, February 08, 2007

One of my favorite ways to warm up

I've learned just recently that the quickest way for me to warm up in this frigid land of ice is to receive a call from an old friend. In the past week, I've heard from some of my favorite people - who all happen to live far away. And by golly, I'm positively glowing!

One is a dear pal who moved to Wisconsin this summer, right before she delivered an adorable little boy. Until she'd left our community, we spent countless hours being entertained by her little girl - now a school-aged almost-grown-up honey. We've shared pregnancy talk, marriage talk, family talk, all the good personal details. I have no idea if she's a Liberal or a Conservative, or what church she attends, but I do know the deep-down important stuff. Our phone visit was short, but so warming.

The next day, I received a quick call from my cousin, who is expecting her first baby this June. She's just a few years older than me, and I've always looked up to her. We don't talk frequently, but we're always in touch somehow. Though our chat was short, it was great to hear that she's feeling good and the baby is growing along nicely. I can hardly wait to meet the next member of our family this summer!

A couple days later, another favorite pal called. Formerly my next-door dormmate, sweet Danyellow from Iowa called just to chat. We had a great time catching up - and have both committed to getting together sometime in the following few months. Though we only see each other every few years or so, we always pick up like normal, close as ever. What a day brightener!

Soon after that, I received a call from one of my oldest (not in terms of age - we've known each other since we were toddlers) family friends. After trying to find a time to visit and introduce my babies to her, Miss Kitty let me know that she had it narrowed down to two weekends. Here's the bonus - when she comes to visit, her brother and his wife will come, too! Talk about fun. It looks like the second weekend in March will be a party at my house!

I'm not sure if this was God's way of warming my soul, or just a random stretch of pleasantness, but whatever it is, I'm so glad. Phone calls go so far!

Gentle readers, please call your loved ones and make them smile. You'll all enjoy the rewards.

No comments: