Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mmmmm - Omega 3s

After a great big salmon fest on Saturday night, I'm full to the gills (pun intended) of enough Omega 3 to last me all week. Yum!

My wonderful parents came to visit this past weekend, and brought along some hitchhikers. My cousin Bill and his darling girlfriend tagged along and stayed at my sister's house. What a fun surprise!

On Saturday, we all cooked and ate salmon fresh from Alaska, along with jasmine rice, a wonderful broccoli/cauliflower salad (thanks, Lisser!) and some yummy pear/cardamom pastries. Our kitchen, which normally feels like a good size, was especially cramped, but I think it made the evening that much more fun.

My DH created a new drink for my mom and me, who were in need of something light and refreshing. Always a 12-year-old, he dubbed them White on the Outside, Pink in the Middle. They contained gin, Fresca, grapefruit juice, and nuggets of fresh grapefruit. Delicious!

Luckily, we had leftovers. Now, anyone who knows anything at all about me knows that I don't do leftovers. Once in a while I'll reheat homemade stir-fry, but that's the extent of it. DH and I practice portion control, and I truly have mastered the art of cooking for two. (Sometimes, this means cheating by using What's for Dinner.) After the salmon feed, however, we had three big chunks of meat left. It was so good that I couldn't toss it into the disposer. So, I let Lillian and Breanna sample it as I picked away at a slab. And guess what! Breanna likes eating Omega 3s too! Lillian - eh - not so much. So she stuck with plums.

They're truly growing up.

No comments: