Monday, September 10, 2007

I Love Care Packages

Have you ever received a care package in the mail that has made you feel so loved that you just want to sing? I recently received a little birthday gift from an out-of-state friend. It arrived just in time for my birthday, and was the first "real" thing I received at our new apartment. And it made me feel so very special.

This was not the first surprise package I've ever had, but the first one in quite a long time. She didn't have to spend a ton on an elaborate gift. But what she did send was something she knew I'd like, and something I think of as a bit of a splurge. She made more that just my day. Thanks, Jess!

When I was in college in Iowa, my folks were wonderful about sending treats. Especially my first year, when I didn't have a car and felt a little stranded.

Somehow, the contents kind of blur together. But the thought, the effort, and the glow I felt are certainly memorable.

It's got me thinking... who can I send a surprise treat to? And can we start a mini-movement toward care packages? Friends, I encourage you to open your address books and see whose day you want to brighten. You don't have to spend a lot of money and send a spectacular gift. Even some silly cozy mittens (yes, the season is fast approaching) or the recipient's favorite candy - even something dumb will do. (I have a pack of obnoxious pumpkin stickers that I'm going to toss into the package I'm sending, along with a dozen home-made cookies and some hair chopsticks for my pal.)

Just let your far-away friends know that you're close in heart. You'll feel good. They'll feel good. As the overused hip-hop saying states, it's all good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so Welcome! I really thought that some sanitizer (nice smelling of course) would be needed with a new (rented) place to live and all those Babies! What a wonderful woman you are to handle it all so gracefully (really deap dowm I may be a bit jealous). I hope you had a wonderufl birthday and ENJOY the fall before the winter.

Love Jess

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Seriously, Jess, you have no idea how much you made my week! And I do really appreciate the subtlty to the soft smells on my nice, clean hands. It's just enough to smell pretty without making me woozy like all of my perfume (and some of my shampoos) have been doing lately. You're always SO thoughtful! I hope all is well for you and your gang in cheeseland.