Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Mushy Gushy Day

Ever have one of those days where you just well up, so thankful for all the good things around you? I don't know what my deal is, but today I've felt almost overwhelmed with goodness. Everywhere I turn, I just can't get over how blessed I am. Terrific family. Sweet friends. Kind colleagues. Decent health. Big taste buds. So much good!

I'm guessing it has a little to do with some reflections on the recent deaths in the family. And some really nice downtime with my own little family.

I took the babies to the lake yesterday to see my aunt, my folks, and my one remaining grandmother. We enjoyed a picnic on the beach, bikinis on babies, not-too-hot sun, delicious Popsicles, and a really pleasant, mellow day. Breanna learned that sneezes prompt "bless you"s and so now the big thing is fake sneezes. Could it be any more fun?

When we returned in the evening, my dear hubby fired up the grill and made me a fabulous dinner of fat garlic pork chops and potato wedges right on the grill. No foil. No pans. Just grillin'.

Today my dear had to work again to make up for a couple days of funeral time last week. So we went to church as a family and then he was off. The girls and I shopped at Target for a bigger bikini for Breanna (and a Frappucino for me, which will probably contribute to the need for a larger swimsuit, as well). Then we went for a long stroller ride outside and ended with a grand finale. I brought the duck tub out onto the deck and gave the girls their baths outside. Good thing I bathed Lillian second, because she nearly emptied the tub from all of her splashing and squealing. She's a fish already. They are just so darned cute!

Tonight, once the babies were in bed, I read the Sunday paper. For real. The whole thing. Even some ads. That's the first time in over a month. And it felt so good...

With a mixed-up week ahead, I'm sure I'll feel out of whack a bit, but will most likely enjoy it. What a huge difference from the holiday week last year. What fun!

If anyone is in town on Wednesday and wants to get together, give me a holler. I have nothing whatsoever on the books. Believe it or not, I'm boycotting the boat parade and fireworks at the lake for a day off from driving. Have a great holiday week, all!

No comments: